Saturday, October 26, 2013

Art Bead Scene Blog: October Monthly Challenge

Art Bead Scene Blog: October Monthly Challenge

This month's Art Bead Scene challenge is based on the work of Ohara Koson:
The soft colors and simplicity of the original inspired me, no doubt; but I have had a struggle staying within these limits. I knew I wanted to use texture as the most important element of my piece.  I adore texture and have no end of fun bringing out the details of items found in nature which I then press into clay.  My trouble was that each time I set about doing a piece using art beads made with this theme, I ended up with much more blue and gold than should be included.  Here are some examples to show you what I mean:


I made another piece that was a better color match, but my owl ended up so huge it didn't fit on a piece of jewelry so well. I think it will be used to decorate a purse?
 Finally, I made a tiny owl on this "torque" neckpiece, and I'm fairly happy with the results.  

The beads are made of polymer clay that has been textured with my handmade stamps and natural materials (twigs, leaves, seeds).  My little owl  was sculpted on top of the painted, textured clay. I made all my own findings with brass wire and the string is actually two colors of rats tail.

1 comment:

  1. Jill, this is awesome -- I love it! Thanks for sharing your wonderful artistic talents!

    ReplyDelete