Sunday, December 19, 2010

DEC ABS Captive Robin in Colors of The Storm by John Anster Fitzgerald

Here is my entry for the December Art Bead Scene challenge. The focal Bead is made of polymer and acrylic and glass beads (mostly vintage) are used to echo the color palette of John Anster Fitzgerad's painting titled, The Storm.
http://faeriekeeper.net/faeriefestival1014.htm

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj5GJkZvvUPYxXi0hnLTRJrnpRa8D5iPw4Zmrn2DvA2D-XzcaQ1VfJD__VO5nXwQzQKRguEA5oEg0XkSSOb3yzg8AC11bthUeeOLul2473tXU-Ib4Avn48lJNh8DkXJ_6YZETj2oxXDv0U/s1600/Storm-Fitzgerald-L.jpeg
To see my process for making the focal bead, please see my sculpture from which I made a mold here: www.flickr.com/photos/jillpalumbo/5237213393/


My first inclination was to do something in the colors and scenery of the other Fitzgerald painting on the challenge, The Captive Robin. 
I really love wild birds, and robins are a favorite of mine.  I noticed that the robin in the painting was not like those in my backyard, but I'd seen ones like him in the photostream of one of my dearest Flickr friends who lives in Britain.  If you like birds and excellent photography, please visit Janet's photostream.
Somewhere along the way I fell in love with the colors of The Storm, and decided to combine my robins and fairies with the palette of the other painting.  That is how I ended up with my entry.


I enjoy experimenting with a challenge in mind and I especially love the Art Bead Scenes challenges. The ABS writers pick a famous work of art each month and challenge bead makers and designers to use the colors, theme, shapes or textures of the original work as an inspiration. One important rule is to use art beads in the design, either ones you have made yourself purchased from another artist. If you have not read the Art Bead Scene Blog I highly reccomend it.  I find it a very creative, inspiring and helpful resource.

2 comments:

  1. Super cool! I like how you combined both paintings as your inspiration so flawlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie, thank you so much for leaving such a kind comment. I do hope Art Bead Scene continues their challenges this year. I've so enjoyed doing these!

    ReplyDelete