Thursday, April 24, 2014

Art Bead Scene Blog: April Monthly Challenge

Art Bead Scene Blog: April Monthly Challenge

Upon seeing the inspiration for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge my heart took a little leap.  It combines two of my favorite things, art and French.  I have loved Degas' work since Madame Ward, my very own beloved high-school French teacher, presented us with some samples on a film strip more years ago than I want to ponder.   
Since the impressionists including Degas would not have blended the colors on their palettes, I echoed this idea in my challenge piece by employing roughly mixed together Skinner blends in the style of Sandra McCaw. I enjoyed learning to do her technique by reading a tutorial in  Judy Belcher and  Tamara Honaman's delightfully readable and engaging book, Polymer Clay Master Class: Exploring Process, Technique, and Collaboration with 11 Master Artists 
Keeping my theme feminine with plenty of movement was also a goal.  Each large polymer bead is connected with glass spacers as you can see in the following photo showing my construction: 

  For a bit of sparkle I "sprinkled" bits of gold and copper colored leaf along with some micro beads along the branches and leaves on the focal beads.  My little roses are blue-green like the tutus worn by Degas' lovely dancers in the foreground.  
After curing my piece I hand-carved the edges smooth with a whittling knife.  I rather like the effect, do you?  






2 comments:

  1. I was sure that I will find an unconventional approach to the challenge here and I was right. It is fascinating how you convey notions in your jewelry :) Sorry I didn't come back to you after you unexpectedly answered in Bulgarian to my comment on the previous challenge - that was sweet, really :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Здравей Thank you for your kind words. You made my day happy! Един език никога не е достатъчен With Internet sites to help me translate, I make the small effort to write simple greetings to my new friends in the language their precious mama spoke to them when they were little. I wanted you to know I care to learn about where you live and your languages and interests. Hopefully I will not say anything too informal or offensive by mistake. Again thank you!

    ReplyDelete